Friday, April 24, 2015

Card to kill: Cat goes fishing




I have here a bottle of vodka. And what does one do when one has a bit of drink in their belly? Why, go fishing of course! It's time, it's time for Cat goes Fishing. I obtained this game from Groupees as part of a bundle, and I'm playing it for cards. It weighs in at 11 megs, which puts into the territory of games I played on my 486. I assume most of that is the ambient music that hums along in the background, and the rest is cats.

Cats and fish.

What is Cat goes Fishing about: It's right there in the title. Everything about this game is in the title. You are a cat - an adorb lil kitty, I might add - and you go fish. I mean, things that happen you can derive from the title: You're a cat, so there is meowing in this game. Though its pretty reserved. We'll say he's not a chatty kitty, just some meowing takes place. Other than the audio is mostly dings, casting and rocket noises.

You do attach rockets to the bait as a means of propelling the bait further along. This cat is also a master of rocket baiting in case you were wondering. Meow?

CAT-alog!
Joking aside, Cat goes Fishing is essentially an extremely obvious and extremely relaxing progress quest sort of deal. You cast out with a pair of clicks, catch fish, which can either complete quests for money and possibly experience, or just to sell for money to buy upgrades. Upgrades allow you to fish further out, or sink your bait deeper, or whatever else. You need to gain access to deeper in the ocean to progress further, and the catch (oof) here is that you need to fish smaller elemental fish to successfully reel in the larger, and thereby more valuable, fish. Smaller fish will also bite off your bigger lures, so there is some skill in getting the lures right where you want them.

You can also obtain hats, which are random drops, and then your cat wears a hat. TF2 comments aside, this is very cute. I don't know that there is much else to itemize or describe: You have a tiny cute cat. Then he puts on a cowboy hat.

I didn't exactly play Cat goes Fishing long. There's nothing super wrong or bad about the game, it is what it says it is. It actually reminds me a great deal of playing edutainment games in the computer lab as a child, as it demonstrates risk / reward scenarios and concepts like using money to make money in a simple, but pretty effective way. It's not a game I would recommend to other adults, but, I don't know that it was a game designed for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment