Thursday, December 19, 2013

Steam Sale!

The holiday Steam sale starts a few hours, at 1am EST or 10pm PST, or at least so everything seems to point to. I wrote a detailed analysis of how sales work here but for the sake of brevity in a time of crisis I'll go over the five simple rules to steam sale by. Also, I'm not going to talk about amazon or gamersgate or whatever else. They all have sales too.

1. Don't just look at the front page - Almost everything is on sale.

2. Don't buy things unless they're a flash, daily or vote deal!

3. Exception to 2: Unless the sale is almost over, since maybe it won't get a daily deal. The larger catalogue sales often end the day before the end of the sale, and because of repetition they probably already had a flash or daily sale if they were ever going to.

4. There will be a metagame, it looks like it's about the same as last summer - snow globes to make into badges. If it's anything like last sale, sell them right quick, because their prices tumbled and never recovered. You can finish the holiday stuff at the end for a quarter what it costs at the start.

Granted I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

5. When you go to buy something, ask yourself "Am I going to play this in the next six months?" Remember - stuff goes on sale over and over again. It's not a one time thing.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a sobbing wallet, already beaten and bruised from Christmas shopping, to prepare for sale time. Don't worry boy, this year I sold cards all year to get ready, so it won't hurt so bad.

Also if you have a SA account, feel here to join the ongoing sale thread here!

No comments:

Post a Comment