Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Adventures of the Worst Spy Ever

I'm not great at stealth. It's not fundamentally in my nature; I understand the concept, but damn am I ever impatient and bad at it. I mean, make it simple and linear, I'll probably get it. Make it sort of dicey or weirdly floppy and my true secret agent persona comes through: Set everyone on fire and go totes ma goats with an assault rifle blazing. No man is an island, and no one misses a volcano, but no one gets out alive either.

A literal master of stealth
So anyway Alpha Protocol is some game that did lukewarm in reviews and is actually well loved on SA, which isn't really much of a thing since people on SA tend to group think a little. But then so do reviewers, so I guess that's fair?

The game is really generous with being an espionage game, since like I said I'm actually the worst spy ever conceptually seen in a video game. And I mean literally seen, assuming your eyes have not already melted. In spite of being about spying and sneaking, the game fully supported my class choice of COMMANDO and didn't seem too upset with me for killing piles of dudes. So many dudes. This is nice.

Combat, which is often complained about in the game, seemed pretty reasonable on the most part. The actual gunplay and cover system seemed mostly fine, and close combat is satisfying to look at albeit extremely simple. The problem, and of course some of the complaining has a foundation, lies in the transitions. There's a couple examples, but all of them do have to do with that. The first one is that while melee is good and ranged combat is fine, sometimes you can knock enemies out of melee and then you sort of flail for a bit. It's very strange. Bosses, as well, transition between phases of combat which the game does terribly. The one boss goes immune to damage while you're punching him which just feels really weird.

The stealth dome: for stealthing
The cover system, man. I mean really, I've yet to see a game where the cover system even approaches functionality. Other than Doom, where the cover system was an accident. A basis of all good gaming is a smooth and reliable set of reactions to input - Known as control. The cover system felt out of control, sloppy and on the most part pretty disinterested in me. Thankfully I just shot everyone, they were dead and my bullets were my cover.

The story in Alpha Protocol is pretty simple - A military contractor does bad stuff, black operations, do stuff maybe don't do stuff and there you go. What is interesting about AP is I don't think it's possible or at the very least easy to examine most of the story on a playthrough. This is unique and pretty impressive. This element, and how the various factions interact, play out and so on, offers both replayability and a different story for each person based on their choices. I'm not entirely certain how perfect the various elements in fact are, since I'm only going to go through it once, but I managed to miss entire boss fights, get most of the cast killed by accident and not learn half the players actual identities. If I didn't have a giant pile of back logs, I'd probably go through the game again with a different play style but I have this huge backlog.

What did really suck about this is after a while the game starts framing acts with a conversation with one of the antagonists, presenting the game sort of as flashbacks. I didn't really enjoy this over much, since it kinda spoiled plot points, but it was constructed in a unique way each time that show off how the game interacts with your own narrative.

The characters, though, are the real boon of the game. And bones. Literally.

He told me to put the Bees to someone. The Beeeees.
The cast is, as one can imagine in a very grey morality spy game, a mixed bag of enjoyable personalities. I found interacting with them to be the real delight of the game, some of them because like the crazy guy in Taipei because they're funny and some of them because the dialogue system is enjoyable to work through. You can influence what you guys says, but only up to a point. Also, different attitudes work with different people well, which creates a sense that the characters are actually characters and not talking boxes that poop out replies. It gives conversations a legitimate sense of being a conversation and develops them into people you like, or hate.

Probably the worst part of the game, though, is blatantly obvious forced decisions. The game puts a number of "no win" choices in front of you. The issue here is that, they're not subtle, they're played to the trope which is ... Rather dull. It's the weakest part of the story, but the story is not necessarily very strong. It's the well written and well voiced characters that are. So I can deal with that.

All in all, it had its flaws and I understand where the bad reviews start - the various "skill" minigames could use some serious adjustment in terms of Not Being a Chore - but the actual meat of the game is a strong evolution on the genre that I guess unfortunately didn't do so well. Pity.

Which is to say I am part of the Goonmind and yeah, recommend this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment